We discover the future of airless cosmetics packaging in an exclusive interview with James Ki, president & CEO of Yonwoo.
Q: What exactly is an airless pump?
James Ki: An airless dispenser is a propellant-free system, combining a mechanical pump with a sealed container. It delivers a product with no air intake, thereby protecting cosmetic formulas from oxidation, microbes and other external contamination. Yonwoo airless pumps use Check Valve technology to prevent further contamination from back seepage. CV pumps do not use a spring and steel ball and avoid contact with the bulk. Formulas sealed in this airtight environment also require less artificial preservatives. Airless pumps dispense 100% of the product with no waste and, unlike aerosols, can be used at any angle.
Q: Briefly describe your company.
JK: Yonwoo provides bespoke packaging solutions to the cosmetic industry, where we enjoy a solid reputation for innovation, flexibility, product performance and decoration capabilities. Yonwoo was originally established in 1983 and we were the first to develop a cosmetic dispenser pump in Korea, back in 1990. Today, our business is more than satisfactory. Of the 100 top cosmetic brands in the world, Yonwoo supplies 37. Our 2010 turnover was US$129 million, with 420 million pumps produced, and we are on target for a 20 per cent increase to US$150 million this year.
Q: What sets your products apart?
JK: Yonwoo products typically excel in three areas: innovation (such as new pack shapes or dispensing methods), superior performance and wide range – designed for all market segments from premium to mass market, and with a wide variety of formats and sizes within each product type.
Q: What are your biggest sellers at the moment?
JK: Worldwide economic trends have seen a stabilisation of the premium market. Our current premium range is still performing very well, but we are also experiencing an increasing demand for more economical ranges. The Yonwoo airless PP ranges such as the Econo and the airless PP syringe have become a major success, pushing our R&D operation to develop more varieties of PP pack styles.
Q: How important is R&D within your organisation?
JK: Research and development plays a big part in our long-term strategy. Annual investment in R&D represents almost 10 per cent of our turnover. We currently have a dedicated team identifying market trends, thinking up ideas and developing new products. The team carries out store checks and consumer surveys in their local markets and attends international exhibitions to identify global market trends and needs. Around 80 per cent of the ideas conceived out of this think tank are converted into new products.
Q: Can you tell us about your sales and marketing strategy?
JK: Yonwoo’s focus over the last few years has been to target new market segments, tailoring our offering to meet the needs of global prestige brands, and setting ourselves up for bigger volume orders for mass market products. We are also starting to concentrate on different market areas like Pharma. To help us achieve this, we are in the process of establishing dedicated production lines in separate buildings to focus on each market.
Q: Please describe your partnership with Quadpack.
JK: Yonwoo chose Quadpack as its partner to represent the company in Europe 10 years ago. During this time, Quadpack has brought us close to local clients and has been providing us with valuable market feedback. A decade on, our organisations have grown and our relationship has become stronger. Quadpack is still as passionate and dedicated as ever and we look forward to many more success stories as we realise our new sales and marketing strategy.
Q: Is the worldwide adoption of airless going as planned?
JK: Originally the airless dispenser was considered a niche (premium) market. It has now become a worldwide trend across all market segments. However, the approach needs to be adjusted according to segment, particularly in mass market where airless is becoming increasingly popular, but where cost is a key factor. With prices driven down, innovation and performance can be used to differentiate one pack from another and those are two areas where Yonwoo scores particularly high.
Q: And what can we expect next from Yonwoo?
JK: I always say business is like a bicycle: you need to keep pedalling to keep up that forward momentum. That’s why Yonwoo is already working on a new generation of cosmetic packaging based on future market trends. As we focus our approaches to different market segments such as Pharma, we rely on our partnership with Quadpack to help make our strategy a reality.
- 05/2013Technotraf publishes white paper on sustainability in beauty packaging
- 05/201310 things you didn’t know about Quadpack
- 05/2013Airless and foam technology for beauty packaging
- 04/2013Sun care and beauty packaging trends on show at Auspack
- 04/2013Eco-chic and formula protection at Cosmoprof
- 04/2013How to choose the perfect perfume bottle
- 03/2013Quadpack acquires wooden component manufacturer Technotraf
- 03/2013Helping beauty brands perform for 10 years
- 02/2013The Telegraph Business Club publishes “The perfect package”
- 01/2013Yonwoo’s innovation machine
- 01/2013Thomas Hössel joins Quadpack’s German team
- 01/2013Big plans for 2013
- 12/2012Yonwoo Style!
- 12/2012Cheers! Quadpack cocktail party a roaring success
- 12/2012Quadpack targets OTC and cosmeceutical markets
- 11/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: David Lee, Quadpack Korea
- 11/2012Home spa trend forges ahead at LuxePack
- 10/2012Deborah Bowe joins as business development manager
- 10/2012Beauty packaging trends at Cosmoprof Hong Kong
- 10/2012The jar that defied the recession
- 09/2012Download the Quadpack iPad App!
- 09/2012Quadpack inaugurates flagship office in Barcelona
- 09/2012Premium packaging for skin care and OTC
- 09/2012What's new in pharma - visit our stand at InnoPack
- 09/2012Quadpack streamlines global logistics
- 09/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Laurent Frydlender, Quadpack France
- 07/2012Dermofarm commits to best practice
- 07/2012Focus on cleansing at Make-Up in Paris
- 07/2012Test your new foamer with a functional mock-up
- 07/2012Come and meet us at the Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo!
- 06/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Giorgio Cassanmagnago, Quadpack Italy
- 06/2012Yonwoo growth prompts World Class status
- 06/2012Quadpack introduces new 3D rendering service
- 05/2012Promotional gifts: fashion trends for autumn/winter
- 05/2012Fast track to your Quadpack product
- 05/2012Come and see us at Make Up in Paris & Cosmetic Business!
- 04/2012Quadpack joins forces with Premi
- 04/2012Office move marks major growth for Quadpack Italy
- 04/2012Quadpack tweets in your language!
- 03/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Marcela Buitrago, Quadpack Spain
- 03/2012Quadpack enters Swiss market
- 03/2012Quadpack introduces Domenic Maisano
- 02/2012Quadpack Australia rolls out SAP
- 02/2012Quadpack France growth spurs move to Paris
- 02/2012Quadpack introduces department store concept at Cosmoprof
- 02/2012‘Which airless for which formula’ round table session
- 01/2012Come and meet us at PCD and Easy Fairs Birmingham
- 01/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Jason Smith, Quadpack Australia
- 12/2011Quadpack presents Yonwoo innovations at L'Oréal's second innovation forum, Cherry Pack 2
- 12/2011Party time at Cosmoprof Asia!
- 11/2011Tune into fashion trends for spring/summer 2012
- 11/2011Meet the business unit director: Jenni Paddick, Spirit Ltd
- 11/2011Extended presence at Cosmoprof Asia, with a party to boot!
- 10/2011French operation boosted by two key appointments
- 10/2011Quadpack introduces premium packaging innovations
- 10/2011Low-cost innovation will drive airless market, says Yonwoo president
- 09/2011Quadpack Australia at the Sydney International Beauty & Spa Expo
- 09/2011Quadpack presents cosmetic pack innovations at Easyfairs Stockholm
- 09/2011Oceanic SA: on a mission to help allergy sufferers
- 08/2011Meet the business unit director: David Zhou, Quadpack China
- 08/2011International people moves at Quadpack Group
- 07/2011Quadpack and Apollo share a stand at Cosmeeting, Paris
- 07/2011See us in Sydney at the International Spa and Beauty Expo!
- 07/2011Inauguration of new test facilities at Quadpack Group headquarters
- 06/2011Meet the business unit director: Laura Sala, Quadpack Germany
- 06/2011Quadpack targets the New Zealand cosmetics packaging market
- 06/2011Come and see us at Make-Up in Paris!
- 05/2011Apollo appoints Quadpack as exclusive distributor
- 05/2011Quadpack to exhibit at New Zealand Beauty Expo
- 05/2011Mabel Kwok joins Quadpack AU as Project Developer
- 04/2011Meet the business unit director: Mike Banister, Quadpack UK
- 04/2011Quadpack Spain ramps up its management team
- 03/2011Get up close and personal at Cosmoprof 2011!
- 03/2011Airless Packaging Association to promote airless systems at Cosmoprof Bologna
- 03/2011Hong Kong business unit to coordinate Asian sourcing operations
- 02/2011Prestige and mass market solutions at Quadpack’s stand at PCD 2011
- 02/2011New year CEO statement: 2010 closes on a high
- 12/2010Quadpack joins forces with cosmetics packaging giant Brivaplast
- 12/2010Quadpack buys majority share in gifting & promotions company Spirit
- 11/2010Quadpack make-up and airless solutions draw crowds at Luxe Pack
- 11/2010Quadpack Australia's new Showroom
- 11/2010Quadpack gears up for launch into Central and Eastern Europe
- 10/2010Quadpack meets its customers at Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo
- 10/2010Quadpack Italy strenghtens its sales team
- 08/2010Mid-year CEO statement: market shift pays off
- 08/2010Vive la France! Quadpack returns to Paris for Cosmeeting
- 08/2010Quadpack expands Chinese sourcing operation
- 07/2010Quadpack Down Under: steady growth for Australian office
- 07/2010Javier Navia to lead Quadpack Group’s packaging innovation drive
- 07/2010Quadpack meets its customers face to face at two key industry events
- 06/2010Shaping the future at exclusive L'Oréal innovation forum
- 06/2010New Italian office marks Quadpack's push into colour cosmetics
- 03/2010Come and meet us at Cosmoprof!
- 03/2010Quadpack France expands its operation
- 03/2010New airless pack label
- 02/2010Perrin to help Quadpack prepare for global expansion
- 02/2010Quadpack streamlines global business processes
- 02/2010Unblemished record in quality management
- 01/2010Quadpack Group sales figures defy crisis
- 01/2010Video conferencing speeds time-to-market
- 01/2010Body and spirit: a new venture into bags and accessories
- 12/2009Quadpack Australia is moving
- 11/2009Luxepack Monaco exhibition
- 09/2009Quadpack at Sydney International Exhibition
- 02/2009Worldstar Packaging award for Nude
- 11/2008Quadpack prestige packaging solutions to face sustainability challenges
- 07/2008Nude won the Starpack awards
- 07/2008Nude won the Benchmarks Awards
- 07/2008David ZHOU appointed at Quadpack China
- 02/2008New office opened in Australia