Continuing our series of interviews, Jason Smith illustrates the cosmetics packaging markets in Australia and New Zealand.
Quadpack: Please describe the industry sector in your territory.
Jason Smith: The Australian and New Zealand beauty markets are developing at a phenomenal rate. In the five years that Quadpack Australia has been in existence, we have noticed client expectations becoming increasingly sophisticated and the industry rising to the challenge. There is a strong focus on natural and organic products, with a growing emphasis on cutting-edge cosmeceutical formulations and packaging.
Q: What is your background, both in the industry and at Quadpack?
Jason Smith: I have always had a passion for doing whatever it takes to exceed clients’ expectations. My background is in customer services in manufacturing in Australia. I moved to the UK, where I was client service manager at Quadpack UK for three years. This was an exciting period for me, being involved in the initial growth of Quadpack and learning more about the beauty industry. In late 2006, it was decided to set up a dedicated office to meet the demands of the Australian and New Zealand markets. In consultation with current Quadpack Australia chairman Jeremy Garrard and group CEO Tim Eaves, I returned to Melbourne to develop the business in the region. In the past five years, we have grown Quadpack Australia from humble beginnings to the team we have today.
Q: What is it like to work at Quadpack Australia?
Jason Smith: Fascinating and exciting. The beauty industry is moving so quickly, I still learn something new every day! With its global network of offices, Quadpack truly is an international concern but, within that, our team is relatively small and close-knit. We work very well together and always feel proud to see our products on shelves throughout the world.
Q: Where does Quadpack fit in the market in your area?
Jason Smith: Quadpack has built a solid reputation in skincare in Australia, particularly with the innovative, beautifully-designed and high-performance Yonwoo airless products. Most of our business here is in the masstige to premium end of the market.
Q: What are your plans for Quadpack Australia in 2012?
Jason Smith: We will be expanding our team to consolidate our presence and give our clients the best possible packaging experience and help their products succeed. We have already started with the addition of Domenic Maisano in sales, responsible for Sydney and Brisbane. We will also work to strengthen relationships with our manufacturing partners. Last year, we signed an exclusive distribution agreement with Apollo and we are talking to Brivaplast to offer its professional make-up packs in this region. In operational terms, we are rolling out SAP enterprise software to streamline our processes for improved productivity and a faster, more efficient service to our clients.
Q: What’s next in cosmetic packaging?
Jason Smith: Is there a harder question! While innovation is always sought after by our clients, retro packaging often reappears. What’s sure is that we always track the market to ensure our clients have access to tomorrow’s hot trends.
- 05/2013Airless and foam technology for beauty packaging
- 04/2013Sun care and beauty packaging trends on show at Auspack
- 04/2013Eco-chic and formula protection at Cosmoprof
- 04/2013How to choose the perfect perfume bottle
- 03/2013Quadpack acquires wooden component manufacturer Technotraf
- 03/2013Helping beauty brands perform for 10 years
- 02/2013The Telegraph Business Club publishes “The perfect package”
- 01/2013Yonwoo’s innovation machine
- 01/2013Thomas Hössel joins Quadpack’s German team
- 01/2013Big plans for 2013
- 12/2012Yonwoo Style!
- 12/2012Cheers! Quadpack cocktail party a roaring success
- 12/2012Quadpack targets OTC and cosmeceutical markets
- 11/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: David Lee, Quadpack Korea
- 11/2012Home spa trend forges ahead at LuxePack
- 10/2012Deborah Bowe joins as business development manager
- 10/2012Beauty packaging trends at Cosmoprof Hong Kong
- 10/2012The jar that defied the recession
- 09/2012Download the Quadpack iPad App!
- 09/2012Quadpack inaugurates flagship office in Barcelona
- 09/2012Premium packaging for skin care and OTC
- 09/2012What's new in pharma - visit our stand at InnoPack
- 09/2012Quadpack streamlines global logistics
- 09/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Laurent Frydlender, Quadpack France
- 07/2012Dermofarm commits to best practice
- 07/2012Focus on cleansing at Make-Up in Paris
- 07/2012Test your new foamer with a functional mock-up
- 07/2012Come and meet us at the Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo!
- 06/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Giorgio Cassanmagnago, Quadpack Italy
- 06/2012Yonwoo growth prompts World Class status
- 06/2012Quadpack introduces new 3D rendering service
- 05/2012Promotional gifts: fashion trends for autumn/winter
- 05/2012Fast track to your Quadpack product
- 05/2012Come and see us at Make Up in Paris & Cosmetic Business!
- 04/2012Quadpack joins forces with Premi
- 04/2012Office move marks major growth for Quadpack Italy
- 04/2012Quadpack tweets in your language!
- 03/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Marcela Buitrago, Quadpack Spain
- 03/2012Quadpack enters Swiss market
- 03/2012Quadpack introduces Domenic Maisano
- 02/2012Quadpack Australia rolls out SAP
- 02/2012Quadpack France growth spurs move to Paris
- 02/2012Quadpack introduces department store concept at Cosmoprof
- 02/2012‘Which airless for which formula’ round table session
- 01/2012Come and meet us at PCD and Easy Fairs Birmingham
- 01/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Jason Smith, Quadpack Australia
- 12/2011Quadpack presents Yonwoo innovations at L'Oréal's second innovation forum, Cherry Pack 2
- 12/2011Party time at Cosmoprof Asia!
- 11/2011Tune into fashion trends for spring/summer 2012
- 11/2011Meet the business unit director: Jenni Paddick, Spirit Ltd
- 11/2011Extended presence at Cosmoprof Asia, with a party to boot!
- 10/2011French operation boosted by two key appointments
- 10/2011Quadpack introduces premium packaging innovations
- 10/2011Low-cost innovation will drive airless market, says Yonwoo president
- 09/2011Quadpack Australia at the Sydney International Beauty & Spa Expo
- 09/2011Quadpack presents cosmetic pack innovations at Easyfairs Stockholm
- 09/2011Oceanic SA: on a mission to help allergy sufferers
- 08/2011Meet the business unit director: David Zhou, Quadpack China
- 08/2011International people moves at Quadpack Group
- 07/2011Quadpack and Apollo share a stand at Cosmeeting, Paris
- 07/2011See us in Sydney at the International Spa and Beauty Expo!
- 07/2011Inauguration of new test facilities at Quadpack Group headquarters
- 06/2011Meet the business unit director: Laura Sala, Quadpack Germany
- 06/2011Quadpack targets the New Zealand cosmetics packaging market
- 06/2011Come and see us at Make-Up in Paris!
- 05/2011Apollo appoints Quadpack as exclusive distributor
- 05/2011Quadpack to exhibit at New Zealand Beauty Expo
- 05/2011Mabel Kwok joins Quadpack AU as Project Developer
- 04/2011Meet the business unit director: Mike Banister, Quadpack UK
- 04/2011Quadpack Spain ramps up its management team
- 03/2011Get up close and personal at Cosmoprof 2011!
- 03/2011Airless Packaging Association to promote airless systems at Cosmoprof Bologna
- 03/2011Hong Kong business unit to coordinate Asian sourcing operations
- 02/2011Prestige and mass market solutions at Quadpack’s stand at PCD 2011
- 02/2011New year CEO statement: 2010 closes on a high
- 12/2010Quadpack joins forces with cosmetics packaging giant Brivaplast
- 12/2010Quadpack buys majority share in gifting & promotions company Spirit
- 11/2010Quadpack make-up and airless solutions draw crowds at Luxe Pack
- 11/2010Quadpack Australia's new Showroom
- 11/2010Quadpack gears up for launch into Central and Eastern Europe
- 10/2010Quadpack meets its customers at Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo
- 10/2010Quadpack Italy strenghtens its sales team
- 08/2010Mid-year CEO statement: market shift pays off
- 08/2010Vive la France! Quadpack returns to Paris for Cosmeeting
- 08/2010Quadpack expands Chinese sourcing operation
- 07/2010Quadpack Down Under: steady growth for Australian office
- 07/2010Javier Navia to lead Quadpack Group’s packaging innovation drive
- 07/2010Quadpack meets its customers face to face at two key industry events
- 06/2010Shaping the future at exclusive L'Oréal innovation forum
- 06/2010New Italian office marks Quadpack's push into colour cosmetics
- 03/2010Come and meet us at Cosmoprof!
- 03/2010Quadpack France expands its operation
- 03/2010New airless pack label
- 02/2010Perrin to help Quadpack prepare for global expansion
- 02/2010Quadpack streamlines global business processes
- 02/2010Unblemished record in quality management
- 01/2010Quadpack Group sales figures defy crisis
- 01/2010Video conferencing speeds time-to-market
- 01/2010Body and spirit: a new venture into bags and accessories
- 12/2009Quadpack Australia is moving
- 11/2009Luxepack Monaco exhibition
- 09/2009Quadpack at Sydney International Exhibition
- 02/2009Worldstar Packaging award for Nude
- 11/2008Quadpack prestige packaging solutions to face sustainability challenges
- 07/2008Nude won the Starpack awards
- 07/2008Nude won the Benchmarks Awards
- 07/2008David ZHOU appointed at Quadpack China
- 02/2008New office opened in Australia