In the second of our new series of interviews, Laura Sala describes the cosmetics packaging markets in Germany, Benelux, Austria and Switzerland and reveals the business strategy of Quadpack Germany.
Question: Please describe your markets.
Laura Sala: Germany is one of our longest-standing markets and we have a very loyal customer base here. In fact, I have been working in the market since 1997, 10 years before we officially established Quadpack Germany. It has the biggest cosmetics market in Europe, its retail value totalling some €12.8 billion in 2010. Big players like Henkel, Schwartzkopf, Beiersdorf and Unilever are all based here, as are several important packaging manufacturers. Austria and Switzerland have a similar profile, while Benelux is mainly home to contract fillers.
Q: How has the economic crisis affected your markets?
LS: When the crisis hit, the prestige market was worst affected, but the very high end remained largely the same, particularly luxury skin care. What we saw was a widening of the gap between prestige and masstige. However, the prestige market has been picking up again and we have been seeing a lot more activity for a while now.
Q: What kind of solutions are your customers asking for?
LS: Our customers are very keen on innovation. They also want a wide choice in decoration options. A big trend in our region is increasing demand for eco-friendly packaging solutions. Brand owners are being pressured not only by consumers, but also by regulators, to offer greener products, using recyclable materials, with a lower packaging volume-to-content ratio. German companies pay a premium for recycling, depending on materials used: the more polluting the pack, the higher the tax. So, in fact, environmentally-friendly packaging works out to be the more economical option.
Q: What plans do you have to take Quadpack Germany forward?
LS: Quadpack Germany is actively recruiting customer-facing staff to help increase our market share. We are still considered by many to be only an airless provider and that is something else we need to address. We offer competitive solutions in many other areas, such as glass and atmospheric pumps. Also, Armand Rasch joined us last November to push into Benelux. Benelux is interesting as it has a very high concentration of contract fillers. These companies are important decision influencers for big brands and a key focus of our international sales strategy. With regulators becoming stricter, we predict that more brand owners will turn to contract fillers to ensure compliance. Quadpack is targeting this segment ahead of time. We already have contract fillers among our top clients in Spain, Israel and the UK.
Q: What is it like to work at Quadpack Germany?
LS: Very nice. The German team is young and dynamic, with lots of energy. We have a great office in a beautiful area in Cologne. There is constant contact with international colleagues within the Quadpack Group, with regular meetings. Everyone gets on very well.
Q: You are a director, a shareholder and mother of two small children. How do you manage it all?
LS: I think juggling the different roles helps you to become more efficient in managing resources. You become more disciplined in structuring your time. I work around the children's school timetable and take work home when I need to. It was difficult at first but I am starting to delegate more, which actually empowers the team to operate more autonomously. Everyone is happier as a result!
- 05/2013Technotraf publishes white paper on sustainability in beauty packaging
- 05/201310 things you didn’t know about Quadpack
- 05/2013Airless and foam technology for beauty packaging
- 04/2013Sun care and beauty packaging trends on show at Auspack
- 04/2013Eco-chic and formula protection at Cosmoprof
- 04/2013How to choose the perfect perfume bottle
- 03/2013Quadpack acquires wooden component manufacturer Technotraf
- 03/2013Helping beauty brands perform for 10 years
- 02/2013The Telegraph Business Club publishes “The perfect package”
- 01/2013Yonwoo’s innovation machine
- 01/2013Thomas Hössel joins Quadpack’s German team
- 01/2013Big plans for 2013
- 12/2012Yonwoo Style!
- 12/2012Cheers! Quadpack cocktail party a roaring success
- 12/2012Quadpack targets OTC and cosmeceutical markets
- 11/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: David Lee, Quadpack Korea
- 11/2012Home spa trend forges ahead at LuxePack
- 10/2012Deborah Bowe joins as business development manager
- 10/2012Beauty packaging trends at Cosmoprof Hong Kong
- 10/2012The jar that defied the recession
- 09/2012Download the Quadpack iPad App!
- 09/2012Quadpack inaugurates flagship office in Barcelona
- 09/2012Premium packaging for skin care and OTC
- 09/2012What's new in pharma - visit our stand at InnoPack
- 09/2012Quadpack streamlines global logistics
- 09/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Laurent Frydlender, Quadpack France
- 07/2012Dermofarm commits to best practice
- 07/2012Focus on cleansing at Make-Up in Paris
- 07/2012Test your new foamer with a functional mock-up
- 07/2012Come and meet us at the Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo!
- 06/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Giorgio Cassanmagnago, Quadpack Italy
- 06/2012Yonwoo growth prompts World Class status
- 06/2012Quadpack introduces new 3D rendering service
- 05/2012Promotional gifts: fashion trends for autumn/winter
- 05/2012Fast track to your Quadpack product
- 05/2012Come and see us at Make Up in Paris & Cosmetic Business!
- 04/2012Quadpack joins forces with Premi
- 04/2012Office move marks major growth for Quadpack Italy
- 04/2012Quadpack tweets in your language!
- 03/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Marcela Buitrago, Quadpack Spain
- 03/2012Quadpack enters Swiss market
- 03/2012Quadpack introduces Domenic Maisano
- 02/2012Quadpack Australia rolls out SAP
- 02/2012Quadpack France growth spurs move to Paris
- 02/2012Quadpack introduces department store concept at Cosmoprof
- 02/2012‘Which airless for which formula’ round table session
- 01/2012Come and meet us at PCD and Easy Fairs Birmingham
- 01/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Jason Smith, Quadpack Australia
- 12/2011Quadpack presents Yonwoo innovations at L'Oréal's second innovation forum, Cherry Pack 2
- 12/2011Party time at Cosmoprof Asia!
- 11/2011Tune into fashion trends for spring/summer 2012
- 11/2011Meet the business unit director: Jenni Paddick, Spirit Ltd
- 11/2011Extended presence at Cosmoprof Asia, with a party to boot!
- 10/2011French operation boosted by two key appointments
- 10/2011Quadpack introduces premium packaging innovations
- 10/2011Low-cost innovation will drive airless market, says Yonwoo president
- 09/2011Quadpack Australia at the Sydney International Beauty & Spa Expo
- 09/2011Quadpack presents cosmetic pack innovations at Easyfairs Stockholm
- 09/2011Oceanic SA: on a mission to help allergy sufferers
- 08/2011Meet the business unit director: David Zhou, Quadpack China
- 08/2011International people moves at Quadpack Group
- 07/2011Quadpack and Apollo share a stand at Cosmeeting, Paris
- 07/2011See us in Sydney at the International Spa and Beauty Expo!
- 07/2011Inauguration of new test facilities at Quadpack Group headquarters
- 06/2011Meet the business unit director: Laura Sala, Quadpack Germany
- 06/2011Quadpack targets the New Zealand cosmetics packaging market
- 06/2011Come and see us at Make-Up in Paris!
- 05/2011Apollo appoints Quadpack as exclusive distributor
- 05/2011Quadpack to exhibit at New Zealand Beauty Expo
- 05/2011Mabel Kwok joins Quadpack AU as Project Developer
- 04/2011Meet the business unit director: Mike Banister, Quadpack UK
- 04/2011Quadpack Spain ramps up its management team
- 03/2011Get up close and personal at Cosmoprof 2011!
- 03/2011Airless Packaging Association to promote airless systems at Cosmoprof Bologna
- 03/2011Hong Kong business unit to coordinate Asian sourcing operations
- 02/2011Prestige and mass market solutions at Quadpack’s stand at PCD 2011
- 02/2011New year CEO statement: 2010 closes on a high
- 12/2010Quadpack joins forces with cosmetics packaging giant Brivaplast
- 12/2010Quadpack buys majority share in gifting & promotions company Spirit
- 11/2010Quadpack make-up and airless solutions draw crowds at Luxe Pack
- 11/2010Quadpack Australia's new Showroom
- 11/2010Quadpack gears up for launch into Central and Eastern Europe
- 10/2010Quadpack meets its customers at Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo
- 10/2010Quadpack Italy strenghtens its sales team
- 08/2010Mid-year CEO statement: market shift pays off
- 08/2010Vive la France! Quadpack returns to Paris for Cosmeeting
- 08/2010Quadpack expands Chinese sourcing operation
- 07/2010Quadpack Down Under: steady growth for Australian office
- 07/2010Javier Navia to lead Quadpack Group’s packaging innovation drive
- 07/2010Quadpack meets its customers face to face at two key industry events
- 06/2010Shaping the future at exclusive L'Oréal innovation forum
- 06/2010New Italian office marks Quadpack's push into colour cosmetics
- 03/2010Come and meet us at Cosmoprof!
- 03/2010Quadpack France expands its operation
- 03/2010New airless pack label
- 02/2010Perrin to help Quadpack prepare for global expansion
- 02/2010Quadpack streamlines global business processes
- 02/2010Unblemished record in quality management
- 01/2010Quadpack Group sales figures defy crisis
- 01/2010Video conferencing speeds time-to-market
- 01/2010Body and spirit: a new venture into bags and accessories
- 12/2009Quadpack Australia is moving
- 11/2009Luxepack Monaco exhibition
- 09/2009Quadpack at Sydney International Exhibition
- 02/2009Worldstar Packaging award for Nude
- 11/2008Quadpack prestige packaging solutions to face sustainability challenges
- 07/2008Nude won the Starpack awards
- 07/2008Nude won the Benchmarks Awards
- 07/2008David ZHOU appointed at Quadpack China
- 02/2008New office opened in Australia