Marcela Buitrago describes the work and activities of the Group’s Spanish office.
Quadpack: How does Quadpack Spain’s location at the Group’s international head office impact your operations?
Marcela Buitrago: There is a very defined structure. I run the Spanish office and CEO Tim Eaves is in charge of Group operations. Group resources located here offer support to all country offices in terms of administration, finance, logistics, training and quality assurance procedures. Close proximity does perhaps mean we have more immediate access to these resources, particularly our state-of-the-art test lab right here in Barcelona!
Quadpack: Please describe the industry sector in Spain.
MB: The Spanish cosmetics market is the fifth largest in Europe, valued at €0.85 billion. The personal care sector is largest, but fragrance, colour cosmetics and particularly cosmeceuticals are on the rise. The economic crisis has hit us hard, but it has also had a cleansing effect. Those companies who have weathered the storm have come out stronger and leaner and better able to service the market.
Quadpack: What’s the latest trend in the Spanish cosmetics market?
MB: I think the biggest trend in recent times is wellbeing. Spanish consumers are looking beyond the surface. Cosmetics alone is not enough; they want products and treatments that encompass their general health and happiness. We have all kinds of spas opening up in hotels, gyms and beauty centres. In terms of product, that translates into massage creams, aromatherapy oils and generally more natural, organic ranges.
Quadpack: You recently conducted a brand awareness survey. What were the results?
MB: It was very interesting. The survey revealed that existing clients identify us as a competent, technically-savvy company that offers good price/performance. Prospects, however, perceive us as high-priced, operating at the premium end of the skin care market. We need to address that misconception, as we also work in masstige and mass market. Not many prospects know we sell more than Yonwoo airless either, so there is another area we need to communicate more effectively. The survey also highlighted the need for us to streamline logistics to speed up delivery times. We’ll be making an announcement on that score very soon!
Quadpack: Tell us about your background.
MB: I am an economics graduate from the La Salle University. I joined Quadpack on a work placement in 2004 as part of my Masters in International Business and I’ve stayed here ever since! Over the past eight years, I have moved through various departments and, a year ago, I was offered the change to run the Spanish operation.
Quadpack: So what is it like to work at Quadpack?
MB: Quadpack offers an environment for self-development. It’s a company that invests in its people; where talent and hard work are rewarded. We have a busy, productive office here in Spain. There is a lot of action and something new to motivate you every day. Plus, there’s a kind of energy that comes from belonging to a young, multi-talented, multi-cultural organisation.
Quadpack: What are your plans for Quadpack Spain?
MB: In terms of market strategy, we are gearing up to target the cosmeceuticals sector. This growing area has its own particular needs and is governed by strict regulations. We already have several high-profile clients in the OTC market and we plan to expand this significantly over the next couple of years. In terms of offering, we will be launching a new design service this year to facilitate the development of new concepts and ideas. And we’ll be moving offices – we’re growing so fast we need more space to accommodate our clients and staff.
- 05/2013Airless and foam technology for beauty packaging
- 04/2013Sun care and beauty packaging trends on show at Auspack
- 04/2013Eco-chic and formula protection at Cosmoprof
- 04/2013How to choose the perfect perfume bottle
- 03/2013Quadpack acquires wooden component manufacturer Technotraf
- 03/2013Helping beauty brands perform for 10 years
- 02/2013The Telegraph Business Club publishes “The perfect package”
- 01/2013Yonwoo’s innovation machine
- 01/2013Thomas Hössel joins Quadpack’s German team
- 01/2013Big plans for 2013
- 12/2012Yonwoo Style!
- 12/2012Cheers! Quadpack cocktail party a roaring success
- 12/2012Quadpack targets OTC and cosmeceutical markets
- 11/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: David Lee, Quadpack Korea
- 11/2012Home spa trend forges ahead at LuxePack
- 10/2012Deborah Bowe joins as business development manager
- 10/2012Beauty packaging trends at Cosmoprof Hong Kong
- 10/2012The jar that defied the recession
- 09/2012Download the Quadpack iPad App!
- 09/2012Quadpack inaugurates flagship office in Barcelona
- 09/2012Premium packaging for skin care and OTC
- 09/2012What's new in pharma - visit our stand at InnoPack
- 09/2012Quadpack streamlines global logistics
- 09/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Laurent Frydlender, Quadpack France
- 07/2012Dermofarm commits to best practice
- 07/2012Focus on cleansing at Make-Up in Paris
- 07/2012Test your new foamer with a functional mock-up
- 07/2012Come and meet us at the Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo!
- 06/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Giorgio Cassanmagnago, Quadpack Italy
- 06/2012Yonwoo growth prompts World Class status
- 06/2012Quadpack introduces new 3D rendering service
- 05/2012Promotional gifts: fashion trends for autumn/winter
- 05/2012Fast track to your Quadpack product
- 05/2012Come and see us at Make Up in Paris & Cosmetic Business!
- 04/2012Quadpack joins forces with Premi
- 04/2012Office move marks major growth for Quadpack Italy
- 04/2012Quadpack tweets in your language!
- 03/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Marcela Buitrago, Quadpack Spain
- 03/2012Quadpack enters Swiss market
- 03/2012Quadpack introduces Domenic Maisano
- 02/2012Quadpack Australia rolls out SAP
- 02/2012Quadpack France growth spurs move to Paris
- 02/2012Quadpack introduces department store concept at Cosmoprof
- 02/2012‘Which airless for which formula’ round table session
- 01/2012Come and meet us at PCD and Easy Fairs Birmingham
- 01/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Jason Smith, Quadpack Australia
- 12/2011Quadpack presents Yonwoo innovations at L'Oréal's second innovation forum, Cherry Pack 2
- 12/2011Party time at Cosmoprof Asia!
- 11/2011Tune into fashion trends for spring/summer 2012
- 11/2011Meet the business unit director: Jenni Paddick, Spirit Ltd
- 11/2011Extended presence at Cosmoprof Asia, with a party to boot!
- 10/2011French operation boosted by two key appointments
- 10/2011Quadpack introduces premium packaging innovations
- 10/2011Low-cost innovation will drive airless market, says Yonwoo president
- 09/2011Quadpack Australia at the Sydney International Beauty & Spa Expo
- 09/2011Quadpack presents cosmetic pack innovations at Easyfairs Stockholm
- 09/2011Oceanic SA: on a mission to help allergy sufferers
- 08/2011Meet the business unit director: David Zhou, Quadpack China
- 08/2011International people moves at Quadpack Group
- 07/2011Quadpack and Apollo share a stand at Cosmeeting, Paris
- 07/2011See us in Sydney at the International Spa and Beauty Expo!
- 07/2011Inauguration of new test facilities at Quadpack Group headquarters
- 06/2011Meet the business unit director: Laura Sala, Quadpack Germany
- 06/2011Quadpack targets the New Zealand cosmetics packaging market
- 06/2011Come and see us at Make-Up in Paris!
- 05/2011Apollo appoints Quadpack as exclusive distributor
- 05/2011Quadpack to exhibit at New Zealand Beauty Expo
- 05/2011Mabel Kwok joins Quadpack AU as Project Developer
- 04/2011Meet the business unit director: Mike Banister, Quadpack UK
- 04/2011Quadpack Spain ramps up its management team
- 03/2011Get up close and personal at Cosmoprof 2011!
- 03/2011Airless Packaging Association to promote airless systems at Cosmoprof Bologna
- 03/2011Hong Kong business unit to coordinate Asian sourcing operations
- 02/2011Prestige and mass market solutions at Quadpack’s stand at PCD 2011
- 02/2011New year CEO statement: 2010 closes on a high
- 12/2010Quadpack joins forces with cosmetics packaging giant Brivaplast
- 12/2010Quadpack buys majority share in gifting & promotions company Spirit
- 11/2010Quadpack make-up and airless solutions draw crowds at Luxe Pack
- 11/2010Quadpack Australia's new Showroom
- 11/2010Quadpack gears up for launch into Central and Eastern Europe
- 10/2010Quadpack meets its customers at Sydney International Spa & Beauty Expo
- 10/2010Quadpack Italy strenghtens its sales team
- 08/2010Mid-year CEO statement: market shift pays off
- 08/2010Vive la France! Quadpack returns to Paris for Cosmeeting
- 08/2010Quadpack expands Chinese sourcing operation
- 07/2010Quadpack Down Under: steady growth for Australian office
- 07/2010Javier Navia to lead Quadpack Group’s packaging innovation drive
- 07/2010Quadpack meets its customers face to face at two key industry events
- 06/2010Shaping the future at exclusive L'Oréal innovation forum
- 06/2010New Italian office marks Quadpack's push into colour cosmetics
- 03/2010Come and meet us at Cosmoprof!
- 03/2010Quadpack France expands its operation
- 03/2010New airless pack label
- 02/2010Perrin to help Quadpack prepare for global expansion
- 02/2010Quadpack streamlines global business processes
- 02/2010Unblemished record in quality management
- 01/2010Quadpack Group sales figures defy crisis
- 01/2010Video conferencing speeds time-to-market
- 01/2010Body and spirit: a new venture into bags and accessories
- 12/2009Quadpack Australia is moving
- 11/2009Luxepack Monaco exhibition
- 09/2009Quadpack at Sydney International Exhibition
- 02/2009Worldstar Packaging award for Nude
- 11/2008Quadpack prestige packaging solutions to face sustainability challenges
- 07/2008Nude won the Starpack awards
- 07/2008Nude won the Benchmarks Awards
- 07/2008David ZHOU appointed at Quadpack China
- 02/2008New office opened in Australia