Continuing our series of interviews, we talk to David Zhou, the sourcing office manager of Quadpack China.
Quadpack: Please describe Quadpack’s sourcing operation in China.
David Zhou: We are a team of nine professionals, organised into three functional units: sourcing and purchasing (locally known as merchandising), quality assurance and logistics. We research the market to get to know the manufacturers and products available. Then we use this knowledge to source specific solutions for Quadpack clients worldwide. Our QA unit ensures our high quality standards are adhered to during development and our logistics support team ensures all shipments arrive on time.
Q: How do you select your manufacturing partners?
DZ: A manufacturer has to fulfil strict criteria before qualifying as a Quadpack manufacturing partner. We look for specialisation in a particular kind of pack. We investigate production capability, operating procedures and organisational set-up. When we are satisfied, they are required to submit to an independent audit by ProQC, our chosen certified auditor. In this way we have set up successful, often exclusive partnerships with leading manufacturers.
Q: What competition do you face in your local territory?
DZ: There are lots of other sourcing operations and trading offices in China. Quadpack stands out by specialising in skincare and by having a strong, established client base in Europe. Our tight focus, coupled with a good reputation and expert technical knowledge, means we operate in a different league to the average Chinese trading office.
Q: What is the most important factor in dealing with two very different cultures?
DZ: Good communication. We are like a translator. We translate detailed sales enquiries for our manufacturing partners and we translate technical quotations for the Quadpack sales offices. During project development, we ensure that everyone in the supply chain speaks the same language.
Q: What is it like to work at Quadpack China?
DZ: Interesting, challenging, satisfying. We are not a big team, but we are very efficient and we understand each other. Every day presents a new enquiry, a new challenge, and we are able to respond quickly and precisely. We are also a young team and we sometimes meet to go and see a movie; that helps us relax and grow closer.
Q: Do you have any plans for the future of Quadpack China?
DZ: We are setting ourselves up to sell into China. Until recently, 90% of packaging was manufactured for export. This is changing. Since 2009, the domestic market has seen phenomenal growth, with a significant increase in local cosmetics brands. One new cosmetics brand alone has achieved $6 billion in sales in just two years. We are here, we have the infrastructure, the procedures, the expertise. Now we are preparing to secure our share of the local market.
Q: In your opinion, what’s next in cosmetics packaging?
DZ: In one phrase: post-consumer recycling. Packs made of eco-friendly materials are increasingly popular. That means recyclable plastics like PP and PET, but also natural materials like bamboo, with is a big resource here and grows fast. Hands-free actuation is also on the rise, for hygienic application of eye creams and colour cosmetics.
- 09/2012What's new in pharma - visit our stand at InnoPack
- 09/2012Quadpack inaugurates flagship office in Barcelona
- 09/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Laurent Frydlender, Quadpack France
- 09/2012Quadpack streamlines global logistics
- 07/2012Dermofarm commits to best practice
- 07/2012Focus on cleansing at Make-Up in Paris
- 07/2012Test your new foamer with a functional mock-up
- 06/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Giorgio Cassanmagnago, Quadpack Italy
- 06/2012Yonwoo growth prompts World Class status
- 06/2012Quadpack introduces new 3D rendering service
- 03/2012Quadpack enters Swiss market
- 03/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Marcela Buitrago, Quadpack Spain
- 01/2012Come and meet us at PCD and Easy Fairs Birmingham
- 01/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Jason Smith, Quadpack Australia
- 12/2011Quadpack presents Yonwoo innovations at L'Oréal's second innovation forum, Cherry Pack 2
- 12/2011Party time at Cosmoprof Asia!
- 11/2011Tune into fashion trends for spring/summer 2012
- 11/2011Meet the business unit director: Jenni Paddick, Spirit Ltd
- 11/2011Extended presence at Cosmoprof Asia, with a party to boot!
- 09/2011Oceanic SA: on a mission to help allergy sufferers
- 09/2011Quadpack presents cosmetic pack innovations at Easyfairs Stockholm
- 08/2011Meet the business unit director: David Zhou, Quadpack China
- 08/2011International people moves at Quadpack Group
- 06/2011Meet the business unit director: Laura Sala, Quadpack Germany
- 06/2011Quadpack targets the New Zealand cosmetics packaging market
- 06/2011Come and see us at Make-Up in Paris!
- 04/2011Meet the business unit director: Mike Banister, Quadpack UK
- 04/2011Quadpack Spain ramps up its management team
- 03/2011Get up close and personal at Cosmoprof 2011!
- 03/2011Airless Packaging Association to promote airless systems at Cosmoprof Bologna
- 03/2011Hong Kong business unit to coordinate Asian sourcing operations
- 02/2011Prestige and mass market solutions at Quadpack’s stand at PCD 2011
- 02/2011New year CEO statement: 2010 closes on a high
- 12/2010Sales force strengthened with key appointments in Benelux and UK
- 12/2010Quadpack joins forces with cosmetics packaging giant Brivaplast
- 12/2010Quadpack buys majority share in gifting & promotions company Spirit
- 11/2010Quadpack make-up and airless solutions draw crowds at Luxe Pack
- 11/2010Quadpack gears up for launch into Central and Eastern Europe
- 08/2010Mid-year CEO statement: market shift pays off
- 08/2010Vive la France! Quadpack returns to Paris for Cosmeeting
- 08/2010Quadpack expands Chinese sourcing operation
- 06/2010New Italian office marks Quadpack's push into colour cosmetics
- 06/2010Shaping the future at exclusive L'Oréal innovation forum
- 03/2010Come and meet us at Cosmoprof!
- 03/2010Quadpack France expands its operation
- 03/2010New airless pack label
- 02/2010Perrin to help Quadpack prepare for global expansion
- 02/2010Quadpack streamlines global business processes
- 02/2010Unblemished record in quality management
- 01/2010Quadpack Group sales figures defy crisis
- 01/2010Video conferencing speeds time-to-market
- 01/2010Body and...spirit: a new venture into bags and accessories
- 11/2009Quadpack Australia is moving
- 11/2009Luxepack Monaco exhibition
- 02/2009Worldstar Packaging award for Nude
- 11/2008Quadpack prestige packaging solutions to face sustainability challenges
- 07/2008Nude won the Benchmarks Awards
- 07/2008David ZHOU appointed at Quadpack China
- 06/2008GOLD AWARD FOR BEST COSMETICS AND TOILETRIES DESIGN
- 06/2008New Rebul Fragrancy