Jenni Paddick, business unit leader of Spirit Ltd, explains the synergy between Spirit and its mother company, Quadpack.
Quadpack: What is Spirit Ltd?
Jenni Paddick: Spirit provides design and inspiration to support the marketing activities of beauty brand owners. We design bags, beauty accessories and gifts with purchase (GWP) – promotional items that offer a creative edge to help promote our customers’ brands. Part of our business is also designing items for retail.
Q: What is Spirit’s relationship to Quadpack?
JP: Spirit is a Quadpack company. Quadpack acquired the majority share in January, having seen the benefits of joining forces as a stakeholder the year before. There is a real synergy between our activities. We both target the same customer base. We both help build beauty brands. We both enjoy an established reputation in our markets. Our cultures are similar, too. I sense the same passion and pride in their work whenever I deal with my colleagues at Quadpack.
Q: Who can benefit from Spirit’s products?
JP: Most companies who approach us are cosmetic companies, looking for new gift ideas to promote new brands or new collections. For example, we have done work for Elemis, The Sanctuary, Amway and Elle McPherson. We also design cosmetics bags for retailers like the Body Shop and we developed a complete new range of bags for Dannii Minogue’s Project D.
Q: How do you track trends?
JP: We have a talented design team that keeps track of the latest fashion trends. They visit manufacturers around the world to discover the latest fabrics, colours, patterns and innovations. They use newer methods like social networking. They follow events like London Fashion Week. They take catwalk fashion and simplify and adapt it to appeal to the mass market. Some clients have as much as a fixed 18-month cycle from concept to delivery, it’s a challenge to ensure the right trend hits the High Street at the right time, but we always get it right!
Q: So what’s hot at the moment?
Organic and eco-friendly products are popular. Our plant-based Konjac sponge has been very successful. With reduced marketing budgets, affordability is a key factor. That’s why we’re developing cost-effective gifts that still offer a premium feel.
Q: Is GWP a growing market?
JP: The beauty business continues to expand and we are seeing more brands being launched. That makes it harder for our customers to stand out in the crowd. And that’s where gift with purchase will help to sell. GWPs add value to brands, they help to differentiate them. Our job is to keep finding original ways to appeal to an increasingly sophisticated consumer!
Q: Tell us about your background.
JP: I’d worked for eight years in the FMCG sector before I was approached by Spirit. It operated in a more focused, niche industry, but the corporate culture resonated with me. It also appealed to my creative side as I have a background in design. I joined in December 2009. When Quadpack became majority shareholder, I was promoted to help align the company with Quadpack’s activities.
Q: Describe your team and how you work with the Quadpack Group.
JP: We have a small, dedicated team, most of us very long term. We are all passionate about what we do. It’s often said that it doesn’t feel like a job at all. Since the acquisition, everybody is positive about the future and can see the potential of penetrating customers in each other’s markets. Quadpack people are being trained in Spirit products to sell into new territories and we promote Quadpack to our existing customers. It works both ways.
- 09/2012What's new in pharma - visit our stand at InnoPack
- 09/2012Quadpack inaugurates flagship office in Barcelona
- 09/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Laurent Frydlender, Quadpack France
- 09/2012Quadpack streamlines global logistics
- 07/2012Dermofarm commits to best practice
- 07/2012Focus on cleansing at Make-Up in Paris
- 07/2012Test your new foamer with a functional mock-up
- 06/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Giorgio Cassanmagnago, Quadpack Italy
- 06/2012Yonwoo growth prompts World Class status
- 06/2012Quadpack introduces new 3D rendering service
- 03/2012Quadpack enters Swiss market
- 03/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Marcela Buitrago, Quadpack Spain
- 01/2012Come and meet us at PCD and Easy Fairs Birmingham
- 01/2012Meet the Business Unit Director: Jason Smith, Quadpack Australia
- 12/2011Quadpack presents Yonwoo innovations at L'Oréal's second innovation forum, Cherry Pack 2
- 12/2011Party time at Cosmoprof Asia!
- 11/2011Tune into fashion trends for spring/summer 2012
- 11/2011Meet the business unit director: Jenni Paddick, Spirit Ltd
- 11/2011Extended presence at Cosmoprof Asia, with a party to boot!
- 09/2011Oceanic SA: on a mission to help allergy sufferers
- 09/2011Quadpack presents cosmetic pack innovations at Easyfairs Stockholm
- 08/2011Meet the business unit director: David Zhou, Quadpack China
- 08/2011International people moves at Quadpack Group
- 06/2011Meet the business unit director: Laura Sala, Quadpack Germany
- 06/2011Quadpack targets the New Zealand cosmetics packaging market
- 06/2011Come and see us at Make-Up in Paris!
- 04/2011Meet the business unit director: Mike Banister, Quadpack UK
- 04/2011Quadpack Spain ramps up its management team
- 03/2011Get up close and personal at Cosmoprof 2011!
- 03/2011Airless Packaging Association to promote airless systems at Cosmoprof Bologna
- 03/2011Hong Kong business unit to coordinate Asian sourcing operations
- 02/2011Prestige and mass market solutions at Quadpack’s stand at PCD 2011
- 02/2011New year CEO statement: 2010 closes on a high
- 12/2010Sales force strengthened with key appointments in Benelux and UK
- 12/2010Quadpack joins forces with cosmetics packaging giant Brivaplast
- 12/2010Quadpack buys majority share in gifting & promotions company Spirit
- 11/2010Quadpack make-up and airless solutions draw crowds at Luxe Pack
- 11/2010Quadpack gears up for launch into Central and Eastern Europe
- 08/2010Mid-year CEO statement: market shift pays off
- 08/2010Vive la France! Quadpack returns to Paris for Cosmeeting
- 08/2010Quadpack expands Chinese sourcing operation
- 06/2010New Italian office marks Quadpack's push into colour cosmetics
- 06/2010Shaping the future at exclusive L'Oréal innovation forum
- 03/2010Come and meet us at Cosmoprof!
- 03/2010Quadpack France expands its operation
- 03/2010New airless pack label
- 02/2010Perrin to help Quadpack prepare for global expansion
- 02/2010Quadpack streamlines global business processes
- 02/2010Unblemished record in quality management
- 01/2010Quadpack Group sales figures defy crisis
- 01/2010Video conferencing speeds time-to-market
- 01/2010Body and...spirit: a new venture into bags and accessories
- 11/2009Quadpack Australia is moving
- 11/2009Luxepack Monaco exhibition
- 02/2009Worldstar Packaging award for Nude
- 11/2008Quadpack prestige packaging solutions to face sustainability challenges
- 07/2008Nude won the Benchmarks Awards
- 07/2008David ZHOU appointed at Quadpack China
- 06/2008GOLD AWARD FOR BEST COSMETICS AND TOILETRIES DESIGN
- 06/2008New Rebul Fragrancy